Thursday, July 22, 2010

Under the Gun - Cooking at all hours

Since I'm heading up to NH tonight, I felt really pressured to do something with my left over veggies from last week and to prepare some of the veggies that from this week that wilt quickly.

This is how I spent my evening last night:

Dinner: rotisserie chicken breast from MB and tender crisp broccolini I got from the Carlisle Farmer's Market last weekend, with a dash of lawry's seasoned salt, lemon juice and a tad of Kate's Homemade Butter. That broccolini was YUMMILICIOUS. I *think* it may have been from Foxbarn Farm in Carlisle.

Zucchini Lasagna (I prepared this and froze it raw. Haven't cooked it yet)

1 lb whole milk ricotta
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
black pepper (to taste)
seasoned salt (to taste)
garlic powder (to taste)
1 huge zucchini (from my Uncle Joe)
1 medium zucchini (from Farmer Dave's)
2 jars Pastene Chateau Marinara Sauce (This is the ONLY jarred sauce brand I ever use and ONLY when I don't have time to make my own)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella (for topping)

In a medium sized bowl, mix first 6 ingredients until well incorporated.

Using a mandolin slicer, slice zucchini length-wise into 1/4 inch slices.

Coat lasagna pan with a thin layer of sauce and then layer zucchini slices as you would lasagna.

Add dollops of cheese mixture on top of zucchini and top with more sauce. Repeat layering with zucchini, cheese, sauce until all zucchini and cheese is used (save some sauce for the top). Top layer should be zucchini.

Lightly press down zucchini to level the casserole. Top with more sauce and sprinkle remaining mozzarella on top.

Bake at 350 for approximately 40 minutes or until cheese is set.


Lemon Basil Zucchini
(cooked this, placed in freezer bags and froze for later use)

2 medium zucchinis (I used one green from Farmer Dave's and one orange that I got from the Carlisle farmer's market last week. Could also use summer squash or kousa)
Olive Oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1-2 hot banana peppers (from my garden!)
sea salt (to taste)
approx 5 basil leaves, torn (from Farmer Dave's)
juice of 1/4 lemon

Since I had the mandolin slicer out, I sliced the zucchini into 1/4 inch rounds.

In skillet, cook garlic and peppers in oil until slightly translucent (do not burn the garlic!).

Remove garlic and peppers and set aside.

Add zucchini and salt to skillet and cook until tender, stirring occasionally.

When zucchini is almost done, return garlic and peppers to the skillet and add basil and lemon juice, tossing lightly.

This seems like it would be good on a grilled flatbread pizza or a nice accompaniment to seafood.


Sauteed Swiss Chard (cooked this, placed in freezer bags and froze for later use)

1 bunch Swiss Chard (roughly chopped), including stems (sliced thin)
2 onion tops (or scallions, I used the tops off my CSA onions - the portion closest to the onion)
olive oil
Tastefully Simple Garlic & Dill seasoning

In skillet, sautee onion tops in garlic until wilted.

Add stems and cook until tender.

Add leaves and seasoning and cook on low stirring frequently until leaves wilt.



No comments:

Google Analytics