Wednesday, July 21, 2010

CSA Week 5

Ok, so I really slacked this past week with my vegetables. I still have loads of zucchini and cucumbers (that I'm waiting for the Girouard recipe for mustard pickles from Karen). I'm planning to make the zucchini lasagna and freeze it (as soon as I make a gravy for it... ugh!) and probably battering and frying any other zucchini I have left over for use later in a zucchini parmesean.

This is what I got this week in my CSA share from Farmer Dave's:

Salad cucumber (1)
pickling cucumbers (2)
CORN!!!!! (3) (and I bought one additional ear)
kousa squash (2)
hakurei turnips (2 bunches)
purslane (1 bunch)
green leaf lettuce (1)
basil (1 bunch)
onions w/tops (2)
swiss chard (1 bunch)
green bell pepper (1)
cubanelle pepper (1)

additional purchases: 1 ear of corn (as stated above), 3 nectarines, 3 plums & 2 mini whoopie pies from The Pie Guy.

Yeah, I wanted to de-emphasize the whoopie pies (bad Melissa).

Since I'm heading up to Eatin' Gleaton Woods this weekend, I think I'll be bringing a lot of this stuff with me. You see, our family cabin is nicknamed Eatin' Woods because we tend to bring a boat load of food (including ho ho's, chips, donuts, etc.) and eat the entire time we're there. The goal is to eat it all so we don't have to lug it back home.

I'm planning (with the exception of Thursday night, when I drive up there) to eat like I normally would at home. That means taking advantage of my veggies and avoiding processed food. I'll have to be really adamant about this because I'll be having a "treat" on Thursday on my way up the mountain: take out from JP China in Alton Bay. I have a feeling I shouldn't do it because Chinese is one of those things that I'm finding throws my cravings into a tizzy...but... I want it. At least I want it today. I could stop at Hannaford on the way and get a rotisserie chicken, but then I'd be tempted to eat the whole chicken. And what would I have with the rotisserie chicken? I don't know. We'll see what tomorrow night brings.

In the meantime, I need to plan out what I'm bringing for food and pack my stuff!!! Luckily, the parent's are on their way home from the cabin and left me some stuff (milk, juice, vodka (!!!), and FARM FRESH EGGS!). This means less stuff for me to carry up the steep stairs.

I am SOOO looking forward to getting away for a few days. I plan to swim, swim, and swim.

OH!! Check out the nifty little buttons down here. You can share my blog with your friends with just a click of the mouse! (please share!!!)

No comments:

Google Analytics