Tuesday, July 20, 2010

tomato forecast

If my calculations are correct, I should be picking celebrity tomatoes in 2 weeks! All the information I've read state that celebrity hybrids can be harvested approximately 70 days after transplanting.

Looks like the brandywine heirloom tomatoes take a bit longer to mature (90-100 days). I'm frantically pruning the brandywine plants' suckers (new shoots that come out between a leaf stem and the main stalk). This supposedly helps the plant focus more on fruit production and growth rather than leaf production. Brandywine tomatoes can grow up to 1 pound and I would LOVE to have a 1 pounder my first year! There are new suckers every day. I must be doing something right to warrant this kind of growth. (And my mother made fun of me for putting all that crap in the holes when I planted... God knows what would have happened had I actually gotten fish heads!)

I've pronounced dead the bush goliath plant in the topsy turvy planter. When I went home last night, it was quite obviously dead. I'm 99% sure that the topsy turvy killed it. I mean, it could be over fertilized since it's in a container... but... i'm not going to stress over it anymore. Dead is dead.

In any event, the garden is LOVING this hot weather. There are tons of hot peppers and the sweet peppers are starting to grow out of their blossoms. I've read a lot about banana peppers and most gardeners agree that picking should wait until the peppers start to turn orange. My family has always been early pickers (when they are bright green starting to yellow). I'm going to try to wait a while and see if they do actually change color (at least the hot ones).

No comments:

Google Analytics