Thursday, August 05, 2010

Bailar! Bailar! Bailar!

Thanks to Ellen (and 2 claritin tablets), I dragged myself to Planet Dance & Fitness in Lowell to check out their Zumba class.

We got there 15 minutes early because I wasn't sure if we had to fill out liability waivers or anything and because we were planning to pay the $10 drop-in fee. There was a woman there who was registering her kids for fall dance lessons and she took FOREVER. I was a little worried because there were only 2 other people there for the class but, by the time this lady got done, there was a line nearly out the door waiting to sign in for class.

Ellen and I got a FREE class because we were new to the studio! Score! Joanne, the studio owner and Zumba instructor was VERY nice and welcoming. Before each dance she showed the class the steps we'd be doing and gave alternatives for those who aren't as flexible/coordinated/or injured. This was a VERY nice touch given the fact that I hadn't even told her I have a knee injury (and the fact that I told the girl at the other place that I did, and she didn't give me any sort of guidance).

There were about 20 people in the class and it was HOT in there. I was next to the thermostat and it read 79 degrees. But it was all good. It makes you think you're working even harder...LOL. In this studio, they shut off the overhead lights and turned on a big disco ball and colored spinning lights. It was pretty cool!

Now for the class itself:

I loved Joanne's choreography. She did a combination of latin/bollywood/hip hop/crump. I even got to dance battle against Ellen. She's also very verbal!! She gave verbal cues, lots of sassy encouragement and just plain fun.

The differences between the other class and this one are immense. The most important being that I felt good about myself there. I had a clear view of myself in the mirror but I was so caught up with the dancing that I hardly saw myself. When I did sneak a glimpse I did feel a little like "damn you look terrible" but, for the most part, I didn't care. The music is better here. The crowd is better here (there are all ages and sizes). I felt super comfortable the moment I walked in the door.

Let me state it plainly for you. If you love dancing, you'll love Zumba. If you don't love it the first time you go, you're probably in the wrong class. The Zumba website lists 1000s of classes all over the place so find a few near you and check them out before making a commitment. I would 100% recommend Planet Dance if you're in the Merrimack valley area. It's right off of Route 495.

I can't wait for Monday. I'm going back!

1 comment:

Joanna said...

Yay!! Im glad you enjoyed it :)!! I've heard great things about Zumba!

Google Analytics