Friday, August 06, 2010

CSA Week 8

Here's a list of what I got this week and what I plan to do with it all over the weekend to eat for next week

Week 8 Share:
3 beefsteak tomatoes
1 pint of cherry tomatoes
1 bag green beans
2 bell peppers
3 jalepeno peppers
1 cubanelle pepper
2 tiny heads of red leaf lettuce
1 bunch of beets (with tops)
1/2 pint of husk cherry tomatoes (aka ground cherries)


Still left over from before:
1 bunch hakurei turnips
1 lb carrots
1 bell pepper
1 jalepeno pepper
1 cubanelle pepper
2 onions

Stuff I got from family/friends:
Zucchini
Roma tomatoes
beefsteak tomatoes

Thankfully, my parents are going away for the weekend so I am free to make a huge mess in the kitchen.

I'm going to make a veggie salsa using most of the tomatoes, onions, 1 jalepeno, the cubanelle and maybe some shredded carrot? zucchini? I enjoy canning and making jams and stuff. However, I'm not very good at getting my jam to the gel stage. I have peach "jam" which is probably still syrup that I made last fall that I haven't even touched. I may just clean out those jars and use them for salsa (instead of buying all new jars). If you're nice to me, maybe I'll give you some.

I still haven't made the quinoa stuffed peppers, so they're on the docket for cooking this weekend (especially since I now have more than one pepper)

I had read this week that Mary over at Cooking for the Week had made a beet quiche using the greens and chopped cooked beets. I bought 2 frozen pie shells, and I might do the same thing. I figure that's something else that's easily frozen and reheated during the week.

I just found this recipe for zucchini gratin using chevre (which I bought at the farm stand when I picked up my CSA share). This sounds yummy and I can prepare it and freeze it before cooking for later use.

I'll probably do some regular side dishes with the green beans and carrots and might do a root vegetable bake with the turnips & carrots (and add some potatoes and other stuff).

So that's my plan for this weekend (aside from pesticiding seymour and audrey...which I HATE to do but... i gotta save them somehow).

No comments:

Google Analytics