Monday, August 09, 2010

Garden Update - Nitrogen deficiency

I went out to the garden in the morning and found a big green tomato on the ground 1/2 eaten. Friggin varmints better stay out of my garden!!!!

So not only was Seymour (my 9 ft brandywine tomato plant) continuing to turn yellow, Audrey (the 8 ft brandywine plant) started showing signs of it too. The other 2 tomato plants (both Celebrity hybrids) seemed to be doing just fine.

I ran out to Mahoney's and bought more liquid copper fungicide and I also bought some "organic" insecticide oil from Bonide. At the check out, a soil test kit mocked me, "Go ahead and just keep throwing random crap in your garden. You're no better than your daaaaaad." "STFU test kit," I said, and decided to buy that too.

I knew I had to do the fungicide because I had already started that treatment weeks ago at my uncle's urging. So I went out and sprayed the crap out of them. 1/2 the bottle is now gone. I also dug up some soil from underneath Seymour to do the soil test.

What I found was that the nitrogen in the soil was practically non-existent. The tube hardly changed color. I have a medium/high phosphorus level and a medium/high potash level. Nitrogen encourages green leafy growth so I decided that I needed to get something to boost the nitrogen in the soil. I figure, if these plants are 2x bigger than normal, they need more food.

So back to Mahoney's I went. I took the insecticide back to return it and opted to buy Espoma brand Dried Blood which will add only nitrogen to the soil (unlike complete fertilizers which add nitrogen, phosphorus and potash). Now that my tomatoes are blood suckers, I've decided to name the Celebrity plants Edward and Bella (Sorry Jo... LOL). I could have gone with Louis and LeStat but I like the idea of them being a couple.

I added 1/2 cup each to Seymour and Audrey and 1/4 cup each to Edward & Bella (who are showing NO signs of wilt or anything...knock on wood).

I chopped of more than 1/2 a stalk from Seymour which was totally dead, with the exception of one tomato (so I cut off the stalk above the tomato) and I noticed that this tomato is RIPENING! YAY!

No comments:

Google Analytics