Monday, September 06, 2010

When I die and they lay me to rest I'm gonna go to the place that's the best

Yeah, that's a fun lyric by Norman Greenbaum but... newsflash... I think I found the place that I want to be buried.

Apologies in advance for the morose nature of this blog but, I find some strange need to blog about it.

I'm not even at an age where I should be worrying where I'm going to bury my parents. However, luckily, my grandfather purchased a 4 person plot way back in the day down at Woodlawn in Everett and that is where my mother declared that she and my dad will be buried. Cool beans for my brothers and me...that's a few thousand dollars we don't have to worry about (LOL).

Today I went on a little joy ride through Andover. The weather was gorgeous, the windows were down, the sunroof was open. I drove past the IRS Taj Mahal construction (which promptly annoyed me) and then I passed the sign for "The Chapel at West Parish". I've driven by there a bunch of times and I like chapels and have always said to myself, "I should go check that out". Well, today was as good a day as any.

What I didn't realize was that the chapel is located in the West Parish Garden Cemetery. I also like cemeteries - particularly the older parts of cemeteries with their grandiose monuments and statues. So I got to driving all around this cemetery and a strange thought came over me out of nowhere:

"This is where I want to be buried. In that little grove called surrounded by rose bushes."

There are at least 2 ponds. There is a stone bridge. It smells heavenly (pardon the pun). It was peaceful and wooded and, let's face it, it's in Andover. A 2-person plot is probably be the ONLY property I'd ever afford to own in Andover (ha ha ha).

It's a rather strange realization when your morality hits you straight in the face and you feel like you're standing on your final resting place. Although my grandfather passed away when I was like, 19, I have always admired the fact that he pre-planned (and pre-paid) everything in advance for both himself and my grandmother.

How soon is too soon to think of this stuff? Anyway, let it be known that that's where I want to be - in a little grove surrounded by flowers.

No comments:

Google Analytics