Wednesday, October 06, 2010

it's been a while

So here is a quick update on my CSA share. Mo is going to split a "winter share" with me, which will consist of 4 weeks of vegetables, with two of those weeks being "double" weeks. I'm hoping to see lots of storage vegetables like squash and potatoes. I'm dying for broccoli and to try romanesco.

If I ever thought back in the beginning that I wasn't getting that much stuff, I should be shot in the head. Sure, the beginning of the season starts out slow... you don't get corn in June. Boy have I been surprised (and inundated, and INTIMIDATED) by the amount of produce I've gotten over the last 10+ weeks. Will I do it again? Yes - especially since now I know how this works and have lived through having to throw stuff away because I was too lazy to try to preserve it...now I KNOW what I have to do.

Having said all that, I'm back to being excited about my share this week. New items this week: Pumpkin and Celery! The celery is a deep dark green and I'm dying to munch on it.

1 sugar pumpkin (seeds for mom, soup for me!)
1 green tomato (frying up for a sandwich!)
2 zucchini (zucchini pie)
1 poblano (polenta stuffed pepper)
2 bags green beans (blanch & freeze)
1 bag cranberry beans (not sure what to do with these yet)
1 head of boston lettuce (my favorite!)
1 bunch hakurei turnips (roasting these)
1 bunch celery (which is a deep emerald green!!!)

I could have gotten mint and bok choy but I traded those in for more zucchini and green beans, respectively. I also bought some mozzarella from maplebrook farm.

No comments:

Google Analytics